Hooper Gun Works is pleased to offer a consolidated parts kits for the 1911. The purpose of this kit was to cover the bases on the “wear” items of a 1911. It is also the first series of parts that I replace on most any 1911 in the shop. Perfect for new builds or restoration projects alike this kit is compatible with all 45 ACP 9mm and 38 super 5″ 1911 models of common make. There is probably some custom $3k 5″ 1911 that may use different parts but for the Rock Island Armory Kimber Springifeld or Caspian builds out there this will work nicely. Below is a description of the parts that you will receive in the packaging as pictured.
- 1 Wolff 18.5lb recoil spring for full length (5″) slides – May be used with either full length or standard guide rods
- 1 Wolff Extra Power Firing Pin Spring – Prevents “firing pin float”
- 1 Wolff #2 Magazine Catch Spring – At slightly less power than a stock spring to allow for a smoother mag release action
- 1 HGW Sear Spring – A finished sear spring tends to reduce the chances of rust over lower cost OEM unfinished springs
- 1 set of 4 HGW Hex Head Grip Screws – Machined from 4140 steel and then melonited creating the best option in wear resistance and hardness
- 1 HGW Hex Head Mag Release Lock – Machined from 4140 steel and then melonited creating the best option in wear resistance and hardness
A piece of advice – Be careful of grip screw bushings on mass produced 1911s. Many are softer steel and may be overtightened from the factory. If you “slip” the tool removing the bushings and shear the top off stop. It’s not too late for a gunsmith to remove the part at a low cost. The further it breaks from here on the worse the repair bill will be. Additionally only tighten the grip screws to be snug. They don’t need “torquing” to keep the grips in place. Tighten too much and the threads on an aluminum frame will give. The repair choices are an oversize bushing or new frame neither being fun.