Posted on Leave a comment

1911 Compact Gun Grip Extension

Did you buy a compact 1911 only to find out that you just don’t have enough space to properly grip the gun and control the recoil? Well if you did, there are some solutions out there for you. I’ll describe a few for you here.

  1. Buy a bigger gun. I love this one because really, any one who loves guns would love an excuse to buy another one. And bigger is always better right? Well not always which is probably why you bought a compact. However, unless it is vital for you to have a shorter barrel compact gun, you may be able to get a bigger gun. Maybe not a full size 5″ but at least a midsize 4.25″ barrel. If you’re planning on using this gun for a carry gun and are worried about concealment, you may want to entertain another option.
  2. Extend the grip, not the mag. This is an in-between option. It allows you to keep your compact 1911 and use the original compact mags yet still extend your grip. Pearce Grips make some nice grip extenders for double stack guns that will increase the grip length in the front (where you want it), and not increase the length at the back of the gun. Unfortunately, at the time of this writing, they only work for the double stack guns. I’ve called them up and hopefully Mr. Pearce will hear our plea to make this for the fine single stack gun owners because it’s a great product.
    Pearce Grip
  3. Extend the mag, extend the grip. This is the most versatile option. Yes, you need to buy new mags but if you’re a proper gun owner, you likely own more than one. You may also have mags in the same callibur as your compact but in a full size. If so, this is an affordable option too. So for this option, you put a longer mag in your compact gun and buy a grip extender to go on your mag. Technically you don’t have to but your grip will be crazy off if you don’t cover the bare mag sticking out the bottom of your gun. Anyway, get yourself a grip extender and put in on your longer mag, then you get an extra round and a better grip. Grip extenders come in different forms some of which I’ll describe briefly. Both types are made to work with the base of the gun as that is pretty much standard. What isn’t standard is what the base of the mag looks like. Some are bare flat metal while other’s provide more of a pad and come in even more different styles.
    1. X-Grip – This grip is a two piece polymer grip extender that encapsulates the base of the mag. They come in a few versions and may not work on all brands of magazines.
    2. Collar – This grip slides down your magazine and stays in place with a set screw. Again it may not work with all brands of magazines. A&G is one of the manufactures of this grip extension type.
      Grip Extender
  4. Extend the mag with a built in grip. Not many mags offer this but I know that Willson Combat offers a 9mm 10 round mag with a low profile base plate that wraps up the front of the mag to where it meets the base of the gun, thus extending your grip. If you’re not keen on having 10 rounds in a gun that is supposed to have 8 (in the case of the 9mm compact), opt for choice #3.
    Wilson Combat 10rd 9mm extension

No matter your reason for buying a compact gun, if you’re going to extend your grip with a larger than stock capacity mag, make sure that the new capacity mag is legal in your state.
As always, follow all local, state, and federal laws regarding firearms. Keep your guns locked up securely when not in use and be a safe, knowledgeable shooter.

Leave a Reply